ANU Women’s Football Club was established in 1978 and has been participating in Capital Football competitions ever since. We provide a fun and friendly atmosphere for players to participate in football and develop their game.
In 2017 we have teams in all State League divisions. We are always welcoming new players to the club. Training is held at the newly grassed Fellows Oval on ANU campus, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. All ANUWFC teams train on these two days so training is split into 1 1/2 hr sessions and alternate between the time slots of 6pm – 7:30pm and 7:30pm – 9pm.
You don’t need much to play soccer. The basic compulsory equipment of a player includes:
- A jersey – if undergarments are worn, the colour of the sleeve must be the same main colour as the sleeve of the jersey or shirt. ANUWFC will supply players with a jersey for the season.
- Shorts – if undershorts or tights are worn, they must be of the same main colour of the shorts. ANUWFC plays in royal blue shorts that can be purchased from the club or from a sports clothing store.
- Socks – if tape or similar material is applied externally it must be the same colour as that part of the stockings it is applied to. Socks can be purchased from the club or from a sports clothing store.
Shorts are noted as a compulsory item to be worn for matches. Ideally, club shorts consistent in colour which clearly unifies the team. Players can be prohibited to participate in matches if they are not compliant with the laws of the games.
ANUWFC will provide some of the equipment required for game days. This includes jerseys, practice balls and bibs for substitute player, and a first aid kit for each team.
The ANUWFC is run entirely by volunteer players. We have a great bunch of supportive and knowledgable coaches. We have an executive made up of the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. The exec are wonderfully supported by General Representatives who do heaps of organising throughout the year. Without the committee ANUWFC would not exist and they always need support, so please consider helping out next time we call for volunteers! Elections for committee positions are held at the combined AGM/Presentation night at the end of each season.
All matches are played on Sundays with kick-off times varying each season and depending on what division you play.
Matches are played at a variety of fields across Canberra, including Dickson, Harrison, Kaleen, Mawson, Wanniassa, Callwell, and sometimes Goulburn, Duntroon or Yass (depending on what other teams are in your division).
ANUWFC participates in the ACT Women’s State League competitions. In 2017, we have teams in State League 1, State League 2, State League 3, and two teams in State League 4.
The regular season for all State League sides typically begins in April and game fixtures are posted on the Sporting Pulse website.
Training is held at Fellows Oval, a grass field located on campus at ANU. There are two training sessions per week, on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. All ANUWFC teams train on these two days so training is split into 1 1/2 hr sessions and alternate between the time slots of 6pm – 7:30pm and 7:30pm – 9pm (for example, if you train 6pm-7:30pm on Tuesdays you will then train 7:30pm-9pm on Thursdays, or visa versa).
ANUWFC has a great reputation for fostering an inclusive, supportive and fun environment. Training sessions are often just as fun as game-day with plenty of opportunities for skill development, fitness training and socialising.
For all training sessions you will need:
- lots of water
NO training permitted without shinpads. You can get boots and shinpads from Rebel/Sportsmans Warehouse etc.
Register to Play
Registration for the 2017 season is now closed.
- Navy blue, short sleeve.
- Look the part on game day wearing this smart and casual collared polo shirt with ANUWFC logo embroidered on the left chest.
- Navy blue, Nike hoody.
- It’s Nike. It’s a hoody, It’s navy blue and bad-ass! What more do you need to know?
- Navy blue, windproof jacket.
- Because we’re super tough and train rain, hail or shine, keep warm and dry in this high quality winter jacket.
- ANUWFC branded with tassels!
- All the cool kids are wearing them, and for only $10 – why not? And did we mention the tassels?
The ANUWFC runs a summer 9-a-side social competition both in the women’s and mixed varieties. The mixed competition is co-run with the ANUFC (men’s football club). Nominations for the 2017 Summer Competition will open later in the year.
Visit the ANU Summer Comp website for more information about this competition.